Working with CLASS+
Most of the services provided by CLASS+ are made available by students who have participated in CLASS+ training and have met the center’s criteria for employment as a S. I. Leader, Tutor, Ambassador, or Mentor. Working as a student employee in CLASS+ allows you to help other students while reinforcing your own knowledge base and building new skill sets.
Ambassadors deliver front-line customer service and provide essential program support.
Ambassadors deliver customer service to students, staff, and faculty, and are often the first contact one has with CLASS+. Ambassadors are responsible for understanding and explaining CLASS+ programs and services. Additionally, Ambassadors help maintain all CLASS+ locations as effective instructional environments.
Students are hired for the following Ambassador positions:
- Administrative, Instructional and Facilities Support
- Computer Support
In order to be an Ambassador you must meet the following:
- Current enrollment at the University of Arkansas Fayetteville or, during the summer, enrollment during the preceding Spring Semester or registration for the up-coming Fall Semester
- Overall GPA of 2.00
- Possess good interpersonal skills, strong work ethic, reliability, and problem solving skills
- Ability to use Word, Excel and Power Point.
Job responsibilities for Administrative, Instructional and Facilities Support positions include:
- Greeting and directing students and staff
- Answering phone calls, directing callers, and recording accurate messages
- Coordinating with Ambassadors at other CLASS+ locations to assist students
- Preparing administrative and instructional materials as needed
- Assisting with CLASS+ Special Events
- Assisting CLASS+ staff as needed
- Maintaining an effective instructional environment:
- clean white boards, glass, and desks
- replenish pencils, markers and erasers as needed
- shelve tutoring books by discipline
- other duties as assigned
Job responsibilities for Computer Support positions include:
- Maintaining our open computer lab
- Supporting the staff and students in the use of computers and other equipment
- Other projects based upon skills/interest
CLASS+ provides services six days a week in the mornings, afternoons and evenings in multiple locations around campus. Every semester, an individual work schedule and work assignment will be developed for each Ambassador.
Ambassadors are paid on an hourly basis and will receive two checks a month throughout the semester, on or before the 10th and 25th of each month. Timesheets are electronically gathered for each time period.
The hourly pay rate for an Ambassador varies by assignment. However, the base salary starts at $8.50 per hour.
CLASS+ Supplemental Instruction Leader
SI leaders share their expertise in targeted courses during weekly small group meetings with students.
SI leaders are students who have excelled in the targeted course and are prepared to share what they have learned. They attend all class lectures each semester and help students think critically about lectures and practice course concepts during sessions.
In order to be an SI leader you must meet the following:
- Grade of A in the targeted or equivalent course
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Recommendation from a faculty member for targeted course
A successful SI leader is responsible for the following tasks:
- Complete CLASS+ SI Leader Training as scheduled
- Attend targeted course
- Conduct three weekly sessions
- Accurately record participation data
- Attend weekly team meetings
- Prepare for sessions
- Hold weekly office hours
SI leaders are students first and leaders second. We want both you and your students to be successful. Consequently, we customize your SI work schedule to fit your availability each semester.
SI leaders receive a stipend for the semester and are paid twice per month on or before the 10th and 25th. The base stipend is $1,500.00 per semester.
When enrollment allows, leaders may opt to lead additional sessions. Pay for each additional session increases base stipend by $167.
- 4 sessions $1667 per semester
- 5 sessions $1884 per semester
- 6 sessions $2000 per semester
To ensure your application is considered for the fall semester, apply by April 1st. For spring semesters, apply by October 15th. Applications received after these target dates will be considered if openings are available in the SI program.
Tutors share their expertise in various subjects with University students.
As a CLASS+ tutor, you will share your knowledge and expertise with another student or students in a specific course or content area. The purpose of your tutoring is to help students help themselves so they become independent learners and thus no longer need your assistance.
Content knowledge is the first essential ingredient for a CLASS+ tutor. However, content knowledge alone is not enough. Truly effective tutors combine content knowledge with a caring attitude which includes empathy, honesty and humor. In addition to using these skills when working with other students, a successful tutor also demonstrates an understanding of multiple learning processes. If you are not sure about this last important point, CLASS+ provides training to help its tutors learn how to help others.
In order to be a tutor you must meet the following:
- Completion of twelve hours (minimum) at the University of Arkansas Fayetteville
- Recommendation from a faculty member who teaches in the discipline(s) for which you will be tutoring
- Grade of A in course tutored
- Overall GPA of 3.50
A successful tutor is responsible for the following:
- Successful completion of initial CLASS+ training for tutors
- Working with students or groups of students as a tutor on an established schedule
- Accurate and consistent data collection
One of the important things to remember about being a CLASS+ tutor is that you are a student first and a tutor second. We want you as well as the students you tutor to be successful. Consequently, we try to combine the needs of students who seek tutoring with the amount of time you have to give without endangering your own success.
CLASS+ provides tutoring six days a week in the mornings, afternoons and evenings in multiple locations around campus. If you are interested in tutoring, we will work out a tutoring schedule which accommodates both your time and study requirements as well as the needs of those students who come to CLASS+ for assistance.
The CLASS+ tutor is paid on an hourly basis and will receive two checks a month throughout the semester. Time worked is recorded using the CLASS+ electronic scheduling system. Tutors are paid for their scheduled hours of work whether or not they have a student appointment. This allows the Center to accept walk-in students needing help.
Based on a combination of experience, level(s) of training completed, qualifications and discipline-specific standards, the hourly pay rate for a CLASS+ Tutor will range from $8.50 to $10.00 per hour.
CLASS+ Writing Support Tutor
CLASS+ Writing Support Tutors help graduate and undergraduate students strengthen their academic writing skills.
We hire undergraduate peer Tutors to assist students with freshman composition and graduate Tutors to assist students with all university writing. We also recruit science-writing tutors.
We recruit Tutors who demonstrate a sincere interest in helping their fellow students develop as writers. In addition, we require a strong writing sample, 3.2 minimum GPA, and a positive work ethic.
Tutors work part-time, 5-14 hours week, Mon-Fri, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Tutors are paid hourly and receive two checks monthly through university payroll. Undergraduate Tutors' starting pay is $8.50. Graduate Tutors earn $12.00.